Thursday 18 May 2017

Plans for the Summer

I'd like to talk about what I am planning to do in the Summer. Of course I'm finishing my studies so it's not like I'm coming back in September. However I'd only like to talk about what I plan to do up till September.

  • Finish my Grad Film
    • I really want to finish this as I feel it's one of the best things I've made and contains some of the best footage I've ever animated. I don't just want to finish it because it's always nicer to finish a project you've laboured over for so much time and put so much love and attention into. but also because I feel like it has a lot of potential in being entered into festivals to get attention that way and just in general being shown to someone. I'm almost viewing it as the second most important thing I personally am coming out of university with, the first being the showreel.
  • Continue to apply to studios in the North
    • When recently applying to studios I've made sure to keep updating the above table I made. Obviously my 'Studios I still need to apply for' table is looking a little bare so I need to fill that up. But I will continue to write down any studios I like the look of and keep them in this table until I contact them. This system is already proving very helpful to me because if i don't write down the studios I've applied for I'll easily forget.
    • When I say 'Studios I've applied for' I mean applied in terms of jobs and internships. Obviously I'd very much like a job, but to get another internship would be just amazing because I've really come to realise how excellent an opportunity an internship is. Matter and Co is not an animation studio yet I feel like I learnt so much about working in the industry there and about myself as a practitioner. That is why I am not only looking for jobs in the North of where I want to be living in September, but the South and really just about anywhere I can get to in the country.
  • Take a piece of Pre-Existing Material and Animate it
    • What I mean by that is Annabeth advised me that what would look very good in my showreel and something that would better sell myself as a 2D animating practitioner is to have some animation in my showreel that is still 2D but not necessarily in my style and in fact in someone else's altogether. She advised me to take something that already exists that is 2D and animate in that style. An idea she had was to animate Simon's Cat. This is the perfect opportunity to showcase a skill I rarely ever talk about. I feel I have pretty strong skills of replicating styles. I find it fairly easy to draw a character that already exists so I figure it shouldn't be too hard to animate a pre-existing character either
  • 11 Second Club
    • I am aiming to sell myself as mainly a 2D animator. However, I am coming out of university very skeptical of selling myself as just this. My skills do not necessarily lie in 3D animation, yet I still do have a great admiration of 3D. I may slightly prefer 2D as an art form and prefer to work in it, however I feel there are some amazing 3D studios I would still love to work at including Pixar and Blue Zoo. Furthermore, I feel like 3D animation has a lot of potential I am very interested to learn more about such as the ever increasing in popularity Virtual Reality. It is for this reason that I would like to animate an 11 Second Club using a pre-existing Maya rig. I am very passionate about creating nice flowing movement in human characters and i would very much like to improve my abilities in human movements such as lip syncing. So I definitely do not want to limit myself to just 2D.  

No comments:

Post a Comment