Tuesday 16 May 2017

Finding Potential Studios to Apply to Through the BBC Iplayer

As a career, I am more looking to work as a narrative based animator, rather than commercial, although this is an area that is becoming ever more intriguing to me. I was advised that a way I could go about looking for work in narrative based animation is through the BBC Iplayer website, in particular CBBC and Cbeebies.


So far I have primarily looked at the Cbeebies Iplayer. I would scroll down all the shows until I found one that I liked and of which I feel I would suit the aesthetic style of. Then I'd skip to the end credits where I'd be presented with the animation studios that developed the show.



The results I would get would often be quite intriguing. A lot of the time I found that it wasn't as simple as they just have one studio producing the show, often they would have multiple studios involved with different areas of production. Still, I felt like for me wanting to get into narrative based animation, this was the best way to go. And despite discovering multiple studios I had never heard of, I did come across ones I had heard of and became more an more informed as I begun to connect the dots one who works on what, if it's a 3D animated show, it sometimes was not surprising to find out who produces it, I might already know them as being a 3D based company and vice versa.

I would initially write down a list of every studio I found that came at the end of the credits of a show I'd like to work on. What stunned me was the sheer quantity of content that lay before me. Although this was slightly overwhelming, it was also very positive for me because it meant I had so much choice, furthermore this experience totally opened my eyes. The reason for this is because beforehand, if someone asked me if I wanted to work on a BBC animated show, I did originally think that meant applying through the BBC. This is a very naive opinion to have and I'm glad I don't think this anymore.  

No comments:

Post a Comment